Chocolate orange porridge
Did someone say chocolate orange porridge? This is my go-to breakfast. It’s like a dessert for breakfast: delicious, full of vitamins, and none of the bad stuff. It’s impossible to feel guilty eating it!
- 200 g porridge oats
- 400 ml soy milk
- 1/2 orange (1 for more flavour)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp maca powder (optional)
- Pour the porridge oats and milk into a hob on medium to low heat, stirring frequently.
- Cut the orange in half and squeeze it into a bowl or cup (you can use a juicer but I prefer to squeeze it by hand. So does my bank account.)
- Measure out the appropriate amounts of cocoa powder and maca powder and add it to the mixture when it starts to boil gently. Pour in the orange juice.
- When it boils, turn down the heat, stir, and let it simmer until it reaches a consistency you are happy with.
- Top with fruit and seeds.
You can throw away the pulp left from the orange or eat it not to waste it (I don’t always do that I’ll admit.) I topped my porridge with some flax seeds, chia seeds, raspberries, blueberries, goji berries and a banana.
Not everyone loves kale and spinach but if they are mixed together with fruit, it is a clever way of cheating into their vitamins in a delicious way! ( However, who doesn’t love sauteed spinach from time to time?)
The base is simple:
- Handful of spinach
- Handful of kale (without the stems as they are too fibrous)
- 1 mango
- 1 banana
- 100 ml of milk (or less, depending on the consistency you want)
And then all you have to do is blend it all together to form the greenest smoothie you will ever see 🙂 The end result is a very smooth, sweet mixture as all you can taste is pretty much the fruit. Top it off with some healthy nuts, seeds and granola.