One of the best traditional Italian dishes is a parmigiana. It is well loved by my boyfriend, and I once tried making it for us in a vegan way ( It was well received by him and my dad). I try my best to eat as healthy as I can but everyone deserves to treat themselves and this is a perfect dish when you’re fancying something a bit more decadent and dirty.
It is still healthier than a traditional parmigiana just by the sheer fact that it uses vegan cheese, so no alien hormones, cholesterol and addictive substances coming your way.
There are many ways to make a parmigiana and if you want to be super healthy, I would suggest to grill your aubergines rather than deep frying them as it was done in this recipe. Both ways are really nice though and I did not complain when my boyfriend made this for us as it was so delicious!
You can have this on its own or make some sides to make it more filling as a lil bit of it will have you coming for seconds.
All you will need is tomato passata, aubergines, basil, vegan cheese and a baking tray of 30x20cm.
So, how do you make it?
- First, heat up some extra virgin olive oil with a clove of garlic in a pan. Once golden, add 500ml of tomato passata and add a bit of fresh basil and cook on the lowest flame for at least 25min (you can even cook it for a few hours if you wish as the more you cook it, the better the taste). Once the sauce is ready, season with salt and a pinch of sugar to counteract the acidity.
- Then, wash two or more aubergines and slice them thinly, length-wise.
- After being cut, toss them in flour.
- Next, fill a deep pan with oil (preferably veg oil) and deep fry the slices.
- After they have turned golden, they are ready to be dried with some kitchen paper to remove the excess oil.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180/190 degrees.
- Once everything is ready, it is time for layering! Start by adding a few tablespoons of your cooked tomato sauce to the baking tray to use as a base. Then start adding the aubergines to cover all the sauce without leaving any space uncovered. Next, spread a couple of spoons of tomato sauce on them and sprinkle some vegan cheese and black pepper on top. Keep layering in that same sequence until you get the desired height, and finish it with tomato sauce and vegan cheese on top.
- Put the tray in the oven for at least half an hour. And after that, you have your parmigiana. Enjoy!